best deep cycle battery reviews
- Best Deep Cycle Battery Buying Guide
- Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle Battery
- UPG UB12350 (Group U1) Battery Universal Battery
- Optima Batteries 8171-767-FFP (DS46B24R) Yellow Top Prius Battery
The Deep cycle batteries are mostly part of the main component in different systems of renewable energy that are in need of storing electricity. The systems fully depend on the battery bank for provision of constant power when the photovoltaic system is not working or when the grid is down.
The lead acid batteries are better known for their ability to provide a steady, ongoing current compared to the fluctuation issues experienced in most traditional batteries. They also have thick lead plates which increases the durability of the battery for long term use as it prevents charge cycling and constant battery discharge. As such, choosing an efficient, stable and reliable deep cycle battery is essential for long-term usage without going back to the shop
Best Deep Cycle Battery Buying Guide
The type of batteries
There are three types namely the flooded or wet battery, gel batteries and the Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries.
The AGM batteries are well known for their good ventilation, maintenance free and do not require you to check the water levels.
The flooded batteries suffice as the best buying option because they work well with several applications. They are affordable and come in different sizes and types.
This flooded battery comes in handy especially if you are after enough ventilation for battery without having to worry about damage, leakage or tilting.
The system storage requirement
The storage required by you in amp-hours is mostly dictated by your area and the applications you intend to use with the battery. It is necessary to have a deep cycle battery capable of storing enough battery capacity to take you for at least 4 to 5 days.
This will help to cut on costs in case there is a power outage. To determine the amp-hours storage you need, you are supposed to take your average daily usage in watts and divide by the voltage of the battery
It is important to consider a battery which will give you the value for the money by offering enough usage time. The long term cost of such a battery is determined by the lifetime cost in as much as the maintenance, disposal and shipping cost sometimes come into play. Expensive batteries are likely to last longer in comparison to the cheap batteries that can disappoint at any time.
Deep cycle battery Maintenance and Care
Good maintenance and care practices will go a long way in ensuring that your deep cycle battery lasts longer and offers the best services
- Never discharge the battery below 20% of their full capacity. This is because internal resistance causes heat and damage when they are recharged.
- Store the batteries at lower temperatures to extend the shelf life of the battery due to slow chemical reactions in the batteries. However, do not refrigerate the batteries since they must return to room temperature in order to attain their maximum voltage.
- Maintain fluid levels in wet cell batteries
- Ensure the top is always cleaned to be free from debris and dirt to avoid corrosion of the terminals which can prevent the passing of power to accessories
- Never store the battery in a discharged state. Do not ignore the sulfate formed during discharge for long since severe sulfation might take place and make it impossible to fully recharge the battery
- It is not advisable to do opportunity charging or quick charging, it is harmful to battery life due to the elimination of cooling time.
- Do not use a mismatched charging source of any type
Here are the top 3 deep cycle battery that you should consider when out to purchase one
Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle Battery
Features, Pros & Cons
- Comes with 125AH
- Has a voltage of 12V
- It weighs 75 pounds and it measures 12.9 by 6.8 by 8.7 inches.
- The shelf life of the battery ranges between 8 to 10 years, hence worth the buy
- It is durable and performs well thanks to its heavy duty tin alloy grids and military grade custom made plates
- The performance of the battery may degrade quickly due to its extreme sensitivity to overcharging.
- Loses charging if kept unused for a long time
UPG UB12350 (Group U1) Battery Universal Battery
Features, Pros & Cons
- 12V 35AH Replacement Battery
- Weighs 48pounds
- Economical since it charges quickly and retains charging longer.
- Durable due to its ability to resist vibration and wear and tear.
- It is a dual purpose battery
- Leak and spill proof
- It is maintenance free
- High initial investment cost
Optima Batteries 8171-767-FFP (DS46B24R) Yellow Top Prius Battery
- Comes with a light gray case
- Electrolytes have sulfuric acid
- Vibration resistant
- It weighs 26 pounds and it measures 9.9 x 5.1 x 8.9 inches
- Capable of handling high electric load voltage
- Can withstand extreme weather conditions thanks to its heavy duty material body
- It has high starting power
- It is 100% spill proof
- Unique spiracell technology used for enhanced performance
Getting the best deep cycle cell is a daunting task that requires you to make ultimate decisions and choices. It is important to strike a balance between your needs and the budget. Taking your time to look at the various options available in the market will eventually pay off by finding the most ideal battery for yourself.