Best polarized fishing glasses 2017 reviews
- Lighting conditions in the fishing area
- The lens material used
- Sunglasses for Fly Fishing - Introduction
- Smith Techlite Polarchromic Copper Mirror - PROS
- Smith Techlite Polarchromic Copper Mirror - CONS
- Maui Jim HT - PROS
- Maui Jim HT - CONS
- Flying Fisherman Bristol Polarized Sunglasses - PROS
Polarized sunglasses are specialized eye wear designed for the reduction of glare from different surfaces including glass, snow and water. Glare leads to the distortion of the true color of objects thus making it difficult to differentiate colors. It is at this point that polarized sunglasses come in handy to help anglers in seeing more clearly in the waters while fishing. Choosing the right pair of polarized sunglasses for fishing is a daunting task because there are several types in the market. However, if you have your priorities in check, getting the right sunglasses that fit you is an easy task. Here are some of the things that you may have to consider;
Lighting conditions in the fishing area
Different fishing environments have different lighting conditions thereby dictating the kind of tint that will suit you. The amber, copper, brown and rose sun glass lens work well in a wooded river where an angler moves to in and out of shadows as they enhance the depth perception and increase the contrast. Open water fishing calls for silver, blue or grey prescription lens which are efficient in cutting the glare and providing greater optical clarity in sunny conditions. Polarchromic prescription lens come in handy when fishing in low light conditions with their ability to automatically shift the lens tint to fit the dark or bright condition. They work well for anglers who are into early morning and late evening fishing. As such, it is essential to understand the lighting conditions of your fishing area to help you choose the best polarized sunglasses.
The lens material used
The lens of the sunglasses are either made of polycarbonate or glass so it is up to you to choose the one you prefer the most. The glass lens are more scratch resistant whereas the polycarbonate lens are shatter proof and lighter. The glass lens are a perfect companion for sandy conditions due to their scratch resistance ability. On the other hand, if you are going to fish the whole day, then you may consider going for the polycarbonate lens due to their lightness.
Polarized sunglasses contain a special filter that helps in blocking intense sunlight for fishermen or reflected light thus reducing glare. The darker lenses color provides higher polarization levels thus capable of absorbing or reflecting sunlight in different directions. The polarized lenses are helpful to fishermen by reducing eyestrain, eliminating glare and reducing reflections. They also help in improving the contrast and visual clarity while fishing therefore making it easier to catch fish.
Sunglasses for Fly Fishing - Introduction
Choosing the lens color for fly fishing is important as it will determine your success at the end of the day. There is also need to decide on the lens material, frame style and the quality level of the polarized sunglasses to end up with a comfortable fit. Fly fishing in different light levels and across a spectrum of water depths and levels, calls for a good choice of color lenses. Anglers fly fishing in lakes, rivers and shallow waters should go for lenses in the brown, bronze, copper or amber range. Low light lens in yellow or rose color are good to use on a gray day as they allow the eyes to absorb more light while reducing eye strain and eliminating glare. Additionally, fly fishing in the offshore that has deep, dark water is best done while using grey or blue lens. The lens make fly fishing enjoyable and easier as the eyes do not strain so much and the waters are clear due to the elimination of glare.
Top 3 polarized sunglasses that you may consider purchasing for your fishing activities.
Smith Techlite Glass Polarchromic Copper Mirror
The redesigned sunglasses incorporate the most advanced eye wear technologies to meet the needs of their customers who want to get the best during the outdoor activities.
- Wide temples on an evolve frame with an 8 base curve
- Stainless steel spring hinge
- Hydrophilic megol nose and temple pads
- ChromaPop+ polarized or Techlite polarized TLT lens
- Includes a detachable sunglass leash system
- Polarized lenses that eliminate glare from horizontal surfaces such as asphalt, water and snow
Smith Techlite Polarchromic Copper Mirror - PROS
- Lightweight and provide excellent coverage
- Wider side arms to help block ambient light
- The copper lens gives an incredible amount of contrast
- These Sunglasses are cheap
Smith Techlite Polarchromic Copper Mirror - CONS
- They are a bit loose after sometime
Maui Jim HT for fishing
The Mau Jim HT sunglasses is an essential fishing gear thanks to its high end features that help in increasing visual clarity, allowing more color perception, improving contrast and reducing eye strain. The sunglasses also come in handy in cutting glare that bounces off reflective surfaces thus they are the best for water sports and fishing.
- Polarized lenses made by the use of polarizeplus2 technology essential in enhancing natural color visualization during fishing
- SuperThin (ST) glass which offers better optics
- They provide 25% light transmission and 75% absorption
Maui Jim HT - PROS
- Good in increasing field depth by increasing contrast, boosting color while providing great visibility
- They have a sturdy frame
- Versatile low-light lens
- Very light hence can be worn for the longest time possible
Maui Jim HT - CONS
- Extremely delicate hence they can break easily if not handled properly
Flying Fisherman Bristol Polarized Sunglasses
The fathom rimless polarized sunglasses are designed to offer anglers the visibility required through glare to locate the fish easily and they do not break easily.
- Polarized lenses to reduce eye strain and eliminate glare
- Polarized Triacelate lenses that are scratch and impact resistant, durable and lightweight
- 100% protection from harmful UVB and UVA rays
- AcuTint Lens coloring system for improving color contrast without distorting natural colors for clear visibility
- Features a polycarbonate frame
Flying Fisherman Bristol Polarized Sunglasses - PROS
- Lifetime warranty
- Can break easily
Polarized sunglasses is an important gear for serious anglers that cannot miss in their bag. This is because they help in protecting the eye from UV rays which are harmful and they also cut down the amount of direct light that enters the eye while eliminating glare caused by reflected. As such, anglers can see clearly below the surface resulting to productive fishing.